In This Tutorial
If you have already added a Mail Account to send/receive emails and have recently changed your email account password or have been moved to another server, you will need to update the settings in your iOS device for your email to continue to work. Rather than removing the account and re-adding it with the updated settings, you can simply update your existing Mail Account settings through the Accounts & Passwords Settings section. In this guide, you will learn how to modify the Incoming Server and Outgoing Server settings of an existing Mail Account on your iPad, iPhone, or iPod (running iOS 11).
IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) is the recommended protocol to use for receiving emails through an email client, like iOS 11 Mail. Although POP (Post Office Protocol) is a viable alternative for email clients to handle incoming emails, due to the nature of how POP works (connect, retrieve all messages, store them on the user's device as new messages, delete them from the server, and then disconnect), IMAP is preferred for a better experience. When using mobile devices to check your email, IMAP will allow your mailboxes to sync to all your device(s), as well as maintain your emails server side, for retrieval from another device or locally. IMAP also maintains/updates your messages so that if a message has been read on one device, it will be updated and marked as read on all your devices. The steps below will guide you through the process of updating the password and hostname of the Incoming Server configured for an existing iOS 11 Mail Account.
- From the Home screen, open Settings by tapping on the icon.
- Scroll through the Settings and then tap on Accounts & Passwords.
- Under the ACCOUNTS listed, locate the account you would like to update the IMAP settings for and tap on it to proceed.
- Under IMAP, tap the Account field to edit it.
- From this screen, you may modify the details for the account.For example, update the password in the Password field under INCOMING MAIL SERVERBefore
or change the server in the Host Name field under OUTGOING MAIL SERVERBefore
- Tap Done.
- The modified account details will be verified. Once successful, you will be redirected to the main page displaying the account. Now, restart your device.IMPORTANT: After updating your Mail Account Settings, it is imperative that you restart your device BEFORE attempting to test the new connection. If you do not restart your device immediately after changes are made, they may be reverted on your device and further disrupt your ability to modify the Mail Account.
To restart your device: Press and hold the Power button (for about 3-5 seconds). Drag the slider (located at the top left of the screen) to the right to power off your device. Once the device is powered off, press and hold the device's Power button until you see the Apple logo appear on screen.
Now that you are familiar with how to update your SMTP and IMAP settings for your iOS device, you can easily update a new password and/or server hostname.